VTX GasCap

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

Brenlee57

VTX GasCap

Post by Brenlee57 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:15 am

Would anyone have a suggestion for a leaky gas cap?I put my VTX1300S down to learn to pick it up and the cap let gas out!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

joeracket
Site Admin

Re: VTX GasCap

Post by joeracket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:32 am

:think: :think: :think: ........... only solution would be to replace the rubber O ring ........... not a common problem .......... :think: :think: :think:
Image IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS & LEOS - FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!! Image

Brenlee57

Post by Brenlee57 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:34 am

Ok Thank you. The ones on the 750's weren't replaceable. ....so my husband said!

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 am

:think: :think: :think: ........... not doubting that the gas leak was at the gas cap ........... however there is a vent hose that will leak fuel when the bike is on its side ......... :think: :think: :think:
Image IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS & LEOS - FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!! Image

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:21 pm

:think: :think: :think: ......... did a little more research ......... your husband is right ......... no rubber gasket listed in the oem parts list ......... now i'm curious ........ will take a look at my gas cap later and see if it is possible to replace the gasket .......... some on the vtxoa site say that the gasket hardens if the bike is left sitting for an extended period of time with no use ...... :think: :think: :think:

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:50 pm

:) :) :) ........... hokay ......... checked the gasket on my bike .......... it is a unique gasket in the fact that it is not just a circle ....... it is however soft and pliable not hard as some have stated on the big board ....... did you buy the bike used and was it sitting in storage for a long time .......... apparently this causes the gasket to harden to the point that some have had it actually stick to the filler neck on the tank ...... if your gasket is in fact still soft and pliable it should not leak ........ the plot sickens .......... complete new gas cap is $58.00 US from DLP ......... may be your only solution if your gasket has hardened....... :think: :think: :think:

Brenlee57

Post by Brenlee57 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:52 pm

I bought a 2003 and do not know it's whole history. We just felt it it doesn't feel hardened but do not know how soft it should feel! Lololol
He is down at his metal lathe right now making me risers to bring my handle bars closer for me! He must love his riding partner!!! Lololol

Brenlee57

Post by Brenlee57 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:54 pm

Some one from the VOA site said to join the Canadianxriders as there are probably other vtx riders in my area. Radium Hotsprings. Do you know how I find out?

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Brenlee57 wrote:I bought a 2003 and do not know it's whole history. We just felt it it doesn't feel hardened but do not know how soft it should feel! Lololol
He is down at his metal lathe right now making me risers to bring my handle bars closer for me! He must love his riding partner!!! Lololol

:cool: :cool: :cool: ......... sounds like a real handy guy making risers on the lathe ............ :cool: :cool: :cool:

Brenlee57

Post by Brenlee57 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:58 pm

Yes and he also make a new back for the Baron intake to make it vertical so I don't ram my leg into it going for the brake!

ImageImage

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Brenlee57 wrote:Some one from the VOA site said to join the Canadianxriders as there are probably other vtx riders in my area. Radium Hotsprings. Do you know how I find out?

:think: :think: :think: ............ I don't recall any from radium before ......... a lot from alberta who make the run through radium every year ........... we are having an alberta BC meet in sicamous this year ....... it is posted on the rides section ........ still in the planning stages .......... look forward to seeing you all there ......... :think: :think: :think:

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:03 pm

:cool: :cool: :cool: .......... looking good ........... nice bike ........... red ........... my favourite colour .......... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Brenlee57

Post by Brenlee57 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Joerocket :joker: :joker: :joker:
What is DLP? You mentioned a cap for $58 bucks? I have been researching and apparently I can get a gasket material from Home Hardware and cut my own to try. Worth a try before I buy a new one.
Thanks for your input. :wink: :) :)

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:34 pm

Brenlee57 wrote:Hi Joerocket :joker: :joker: :joker:
What is DLP? You mentioned a cap for $58 bucks? I have been researching and apparently I can get a gasket material from Home Hardware and cut my own to try. Worth a try before I buy a new one.
Thanks for your input. :wink: :) :)

:) :) :) ........... check the link .......... used to be direct line parts ........... I see they now call themselves Honda direct line ............. :) :) :)

http://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

Quinster

Post by Quinster » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 am

There is also Partzilla if you are thinking of ordering the US route.

CAP, FUEL FILLER
17620-KR3-751
$50.97
2003 VTX 1800 R - Rear Air Ride, Progressive Lowering Springs, Tsukayu VTX Specific Bags & Trunk, Breakaway Throttle Lock, Custom Corbin Cowel, F Risers, Woody's Fairing, Kuryakyn Constellation Driving Light Bar & rear signals, Cobra Fatty Highway Bars, JTD Cycle Parts Hard Lowers, RoadStyler rear bars, all LED lighting