Unique light bar, new headlight

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

wngd

Unique light bar, new headlight

Post by wngd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm

I had a HD headlight that was really good quality but it developed a seal leak. I bought one of the halo trim ring headlights and really like the look but will be changing the bulb to LED.

I spent about a year looking for a unique light bar. I like things that are really different on my bike since its a real mix of old school retro front end (fender and fairing) and modern rear (drop fender, bag and LED turn signals).

I saw this light bar in an old motorcycle magazine and after some research, they are teardrops made by Rick Doss with a distinct mounting bar as well. They were made for the Gilroy Indian motorcycles of the early 90s. I liked the size, I liked the shape, the fact that they were LED and I really liked that the turn signal was built in and I could get rid of the lollipop oem turn signals

I googled to find multiple vendors but every one was out of stock, many saying they would order me one in. Eventually I found a number that was for Rick Doss himself and it was then that I was informed that these hadnt been made in 10 years and no one could order one in!

It took a few weeks of phone calls but I finally found only the bar at a custom mc shop and the lights were unexpectedly on ebay without the mounting bar. One guy had half a dozen sets he found in a storeroom.....I quickly bought from both places. I had them sent to an address I have in NY but couldnt get to them for a few months...only to find the bar had never been shipped. It took them a week to admit they had never sent it and I finally got the set together.

The light bar itself was almost a direct bolt on, the lights are fully adjustable on a ball swivel, left, right, all around. They are a very tight fit under the fairing as they are quite large around. The light is very bright and I think the overall look is fantastic and again, just a bit different.

In the end, it was well worth the time, money and effort.

WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

grizzlygar

Re: Unique light bar, new headlight

Post by grizzlygar » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Hey wngd they look awesome, they really go with the rest of the bike. :clap: :clap: :clap: . Could the lights be rotated so the signals point in the direction you are turning, just wandering.

Mikester

Post by Mikester » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:20 pm

wngd,

I noticed them on your bike this past weekend and I meant to tell you how good they looked.

They sure look unique on an X, very nice indeed.
2008 GL1800 Black
2002 VTX1800R Black
2002 VTX 1800R Illusion Blue
1981 CB750F Silver

wngd

Post by wngd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:21 pm

grizzlygar wrote:Hey wngd they look awesome, they really go with the rest of the bike. :clap: :clap: :clap: . Could the lights be rotated so the signals point in the direction you are turning, just wandering.
They rotate almost on a ball so the answer is yes.

And thanks Mike, I really like them. I have the built in turn signals in my fairing mirrors too so that 4 turn signals up high so hopefully better visibility to cagers.
WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 pm

:cool: :cool: :cool: ....... persistence paid off .......... looking good ......... :) :) :)
Image IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS & LEOS - FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!! Image

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 am

Great story. I really like the light bar, especially the signal lights!! Are the side lights and headlight LED or just the headlight? Where are you drawing power from?
---
Common sense is NOT common...

hammerman

Post by hammerman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 am

Lookin Good!!!! Adds a nice custom touch :cool:

Oh, and Rob-- he`s got a Solar Panel on his helmet fer power :lol: :lol: :lol:

wngd

Post by wngd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 pm

RoadWarrior wrote:Great story. I really like the light bar, especially the signal lights!! Are the side lights and headlight LED or just the headlight? Where are you drawing power from?
Light bar (side lights) and internal turn signals are LED, headlight bulb is not but I will be changing that out this winter. Power is right off the battery through a relay. LEDs draw less than the normal bulbs and give a brighter whiter light
WNGD

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:44 am

As an FYI, you have a dedicated, switched power line inside your light bucket for a light bar. If you want it to be switched with your key, you can use that instead.
---
Common sense is NOT common...

wngd

Post by wngd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am

RoadWarrior wrote:As an FYI, you have a dedicated, switched power line inside your light bucket for a light bar. If you want it to be switched with your key, you can use that instead.

Sorry should have been more clear. Power is off the headlight to the lights, back through a relay to the battery.
WNGD